I was invited to a friend’s house for dinner tonight and knew that there would be another guest, so I sewed up these Lazy Girl bags to bring instead of flowers or candy. What woman doesn’t need lots of bags to organize all her stuff? I’d make hundreds more to get such a good home-cooked dinner as I enjoyed tonight – and an evening of great conversation.
The amount of unfinished projects hidden in this house never ends.
One of the AFFKPs was the blue monstrosity in the picture below. It started out as a quick scarf – something to keep my fingers busy, made with cheap yarn on big needles. As I knitted along I realized that it was too wide to be a scarf, so I started calling it a shawl. Then it got too long to be a shawl and would have drowned a little old lady had I put it around her shoulders. So then I began calling it an afghan. When I pulled it out of the tote bag (beautiful bag that my friend Lindsay made for me), I realized that it was truly almost finished and it was time to bind it off and say in my perfect French accent, “finis”. Ooh la la.
Halloween may not be around the corner yet, but this is a project I started last August and finished stitching today. Eventually I will make it into a pillow. The fabric on the right will border the stitching on the front, and the leaf fabric on the left will be on the back of the pillow.
Here are the long rectangle components of the blocks for Judy’s Peaches & Dreams quilt (see her sidebar for free pattern) which I am doing in blues. There are 35 blocks to make that contain one long rectangle and three smaller squares. That means that I have 105 small squares to make. Well, actually 102 because I made a sample block. It’s still a long way to go and at my slow pace, I’ll be feeling blue for quite a while.
(Note – you may notice that I put a new picture of myself on this blog. Yes, that is a crown I am wearing. My cousin made the crown for me – long story – and I think it deserves an audience.)
Years and years ago when I first started quilting, my friend Moe made the quilt Wear Warm Clothes by Country Threads. I fell in love with the quilt and decided to make it even though I was a novice quilter. This is my version.
Yes, it is an official Quiltathon weekend for fans of Judy’s blog. Although I certainly did not sew all day, I did spend time getting started on Judy’s Peaches & Cream quilt which I am doing in blues. This is my test block.After the test block I started to cut the individual pieces needed, but stopped when I got tired of standing. There is a lot more cutting to do.
However, I started sewing the larger rectangles together. If I hadn’t had trouble with the bobbin I might have gotten 24 of them done. Instead, I got 24 partially done. I won’t be able to get back to this project until late tomorrow afternoon.
For those interested in my stitching, this is the progress of Christmas at Hawk Run Hollow, block one.
Happy quilting to all of you that are hard at work for the Quiltathon.
Yes, that is a garbage bag. It contains the project I was working on – the project that will not be completed as I made the difficult decision to throw it out. Why, you ask? Although it was a cute idea, the end result was a disaster and I ran out of any desire to try and fix it. So out it goes. Have you ever done such a thing? My next project was to complete 8 Artist’s Trading Cards for a January swap. Since it is supposed to be a secret until the swap is made on January 29th, all I can show is the envelope in which I am mailing my cards.
So it is on to the next project. I have three large bins of blues which means it is time to dig in and use some in a quilt. Judy posted an idea for a blue quilt at the end of this post that I think I will try. Tomorrow I will make some test blocks and make my decision then.
Completed – one knitted afghan, started approximately 52 years ago………..well, maybe I exaggerate a little……but it has been sitting in a basket under my living room desk for many, many years gathering dust. The other night I looked at it and decided that it only needed a few more rows and a bind off row and I would be done. Simple. Tonight I spent several hours adding fringe, then another hour taking the fringe off. The yarn is inexpensive Homespun yarn and easily unravels. I could tell that the fringe would look awful in no time. So the afghan will remain simple, and best of all, DONE.
Today I put the borders on this quilt made from Cherrywood fabric which I acquired many years ago at Paducah.I also pieced a backing, made binding, and assembled possible threads for quilting. The quilt will go with me to my Bee group in another few weeks to get everyone’s ideas on how to quilt this simple quilt. Straight line quilting will be done, but up and down, or cross-hatch, or around each block – or……..I’m open to ideas.
Here are the simple blocks I made with the Cherrywood fabric – two strips 2-1/2 X 4-1/2.Since I did not want to plan out the quilt, I put all the blocks in a container, mixed them up, and blindly pulled them out as I sewed them together. This is not easy for me! I usually like things symmetrical and planned.
However, the finished product is quite nice I think. From a distance this fabric almost looks like suede.
There are two yards of the darker color that I will use for a narrow border and the binding. I hope to get that done tomorrow.
Taking a break from my sewing today, I finished up this piece.