This pantograph came in the mail the other day.
It looked easier than some of the pantos I have, so I gave it a try.
I was happy with how it looked and the relative ease of quilting – and the size – 10 inches. I was able to figure out how many passes I would need to fill the inner space of a quilt top I had ready for quilting.
I finished it up today with some free-motion loops in the borders and now it is ready for the hand sewing of the binding.
I’ll post the finished quilt when it is all bound. This is the 20th quilt quilted on my long-arm.
One thing………The other day I was looking for something and came across a package of Thangles, purchased sometime in 1997 and never used. Today I decided to grab some scraps and make some half-square triangles using the Thangle paper.
Another thing…….The other day I came across some little batik cat squares purchased years ago at Paducah.
And another thing…….My niece gave me some wonderful batik fabric for Christmas and I have been looking for an idea where I could use these fabrics.
Today all the above lead to me choosing a block from an issue of 100 Blocks magazine and doing a test block. The test block did not go well. It is made up of many half square triangles (a modification of the block in the magazine) where I used the Thangles, but I had lots of trouble making this block. As you can see, some of the fabric is upside down, and it took all afternoon to make one block. I made mistake after mistake – and getting all those seams to match and figure out how to reduce the bulk……………..well, I’m re-thinking whether I want to make this block 9 times!
Here you can see that this section was torn out and re-sewn many times.
However, I look at those batik cats and that fabric, and I feel like it would all look so good together.
Maybe if I do one block a month it wouldn’t be so daunting.
Block #8 of the Fat Quarter Shop’s Designer Mystery series is another house block. It was easy and fun to make.
Oops – did you notice that the picture on the pattern has the window pattern going up and down? Mine are sideways. It is my own design element – NOT a mistake.
Whenever I have an evening at home and no binding to do, I like to work on some counted cross-stitch. A project I have been working on for years is Christmas At Hawk Run Hallow. I am doing six blocks from this massive piece which I hope to incorporate in a quilt. This is my progress on block five.
I’m working on the peacock feathers right now. A few more crowns at the bottom and I will be done. The last block I will do is – “Of peace on earth, good will towards men”.
These are Anita’s Arrowhead blocks.
I sure enjoy making these blocks.
The news today is full of weather reports for our area. Bitter cold – minus eleven degrees right now. Fortunately I could stay home today in my nice cozy home. This is what it looks like outside my front door.
No, I don’t live in Alaska! I live in the Chicago area. Staying home gave me more time to practice on the long-arm. Today I tried a pantograph that I really like. It looks pretty good I think.
I also made some Anita’s Arrowhead blocks for a special project. I love these blocks and Anita’s method.
Hope you are staying warm and safe where you live.
Perhaps I have shown this quilt before, but I don’t think I have shown it since I quilted and bound it. It looks nice on my dining room table.
And I decided to put a surprise on the back.
Today I worked on blocks for a quilt my niece and I are making together.
Tonight I finished up a knitted scarf that has been in my knitting bag for years.
I’ll need about ten scarves for the weather we are supposed to get this next week.
Yes, I finished something today. Not very exciting, but another knitted dishcloth is done.
Most of the day was spent cleaning out files in my office. Even though there is a lot more that could be done, I feel good about what I accomplished today. It was a good way to start the New Year.
My front entryway has old tile that has broken off at the edges. This is the way it has been since I moved in almost 12 years ago.
Today the home improvement guys came to tear out the tile and prep it for re-tiling on Thursday.
When they were finished, they piled up their stuff neatly in the corner of the dining room.
Then it was time for me to get busy on my final jigsaw puzzle of 2013 – a 500 piece puzzle of the good old USA. It has very large thick pieces.
It didn’t take long to complete this puzzle, and it was a good geography lesson too.
Happy New Year to all……..