Yes, I finished cutting the scraps in the Red bin, and I’m mighty happy about it.
The restoration company finished their work today, but there is still much more work to be done in the basement to get it back to my Quilt Cave. So I am still working on cutting scraps. I finished the flower bin, the brown/tan bin, and the black/white bin.
Now I am working on the red bin, the one with the most fabric. I worked all day and am only about half way through.
Since I cannot work in my quilt cave due to the ongoing restoration, I decided this would be a good time to work on cutting my many, many scraps into organized usable pieces. I wound my way through the mess downstairs and grabbed the bin of flower fabric scraps and got ready to cut, using my kitchen counter as the perfect height for cutting.
Then I set up the Accu Quilt Go Cutter on my kitchen utility table. Again, the perfect height.
I didn’t make it through the entire bin, but I did get quite a bit cut.
Squares at 2-1/2, 3-1/2, 4-1/2, 5-1/2 and 10 inches. And 2-1/2 inch strips. This is just the flower fabrics. I have bins for reds, blues, greens, yellow, purple, white, beige, animals, patterned…….well, you get the idea. It might take me a year to get all my scraps cut and organized. Do you think I will get bored with this project? Hmmmmm. (yes, I think she will)
The restoration folks have taken pictures, removed water soaked items, removed carpeting, removed floor quarter round, and hauled huge black bags of garbage out to their truck. Well, it didn’t used to be garbage!
My water heater gave out from being water-logged, so that was replaced this morning. I ran out to do some grocery shopping and when I returned I smelled gas. Uh Oh. I called the gas company and someone was at my door within 15 minutes – and yes, there were three gas leaks. Called my main man from the Restoration company and someone was back within an hour to fix the gas leaks.
Response time and help has been great. The industrial fans and dehumidifiers are working hard, and the crew will be back on Monday to continue clean-up. Right now it looks worse than ever.
In the mean time, two of my phones gave out with dead batteries and the cable box in the living room stopped working. It is almost comical. Will things ever get back to normal? Yes they will – and I will appreciate normal more than ever!
My sump pump failed and I got about four inches of water in my basement – Quilt Cave. It was just clear rain water, but still there is extensive damage. I realize it doesn’t come close to the damage caused by river floods and hurricanes, etc., so I won’t complain too much. I lost my carpeting and anything that was on the floor. The extent of the damage is not known yet as the restoration process has just begun. On the positive side I can think of it as purging “stuff”. My nice cozy Quilt Cave is now a mixed up mess. The industrial size dehumidifier and fans are working to dry out as much as possible and prevent mold. The floor moldings will have to come out and probably some of the dry wall. Because I am retired and on a limited income, replacing carpeting may not be in the budget for me unless insurance covers. We shall see. It all will be a challenge and change for me, but the long-arm and the Bernia are safe – way above the flood waters! And most of the fabric is up high too.
Obviously no sewing will be taking place at my house for a while. I’ll dig out some knitting and counted cross-stitch and get busy with those projects. Life goes on.
Button Up, a Cluck Cluck Sew pattern, was on my “I want to do this quilt” list and since I had all the fabric required, I started working on it. Here are the first 10 blocks. I’m using some shot cottons and other solids. I might throw in a patterned fabric to add some unexpected sparkle. Stay tuned.