Every year at the holiday time, I put jigsaw puzzles together. It relaxes me, but it is also an obsession so I only allow myself to do them at the holiday time.
I prefer 300 or 500 piece puzzles because I can get a 300 piece puzzle done in less than 3 hours, and a 500 piece puzzle in a day with time out for meals, etc. The 1,000 piece puzzles take too long and my table is not big enough to accommodate them.
Here is how I go about doing a jigsaw puzzle. First I sort out the edge pieces and put all the other pieces on cookie sheets.
Next I assemble the edges so that I can make room for the whole puzzle.
Then I pick out the colorful sections – red – bright orange – etc.
Then the hard part comes – filling in all the shades of grey/blue/black.
To see the completed puzzle and all the puzzles I did this year, go to my next post .
The youth at my church pieced the blocks for this quilt (a Bonnie Hunter free pattern) and Lindsay (who led them in this endeavor) put the blocks together. I added the final border, quilted it, and just finished the binding this morning. This quilt is a fund raiser for the 2016 Mission Trip.
It was so much fun to watch the young folks picking out fabric, arranging blocks and working so hard at the quarter-inch seam. I hope this quilt raises a good amount of money for their Mission Trip.
Today I finished a table runner. It is an Accuquilt design for a place mat, re-designed by my LQS into a table runner.
The button eyes still need to be sewn on. This was a fun project that went easily and fairly quickly. Of course it helps to have a long-arm machine! And I also used my Bernina binding foot to attach the binding the fast way. The Dresden plate die was used for the turkey feathers and face, and the Snowman arms were used for the turkey legs. Very clever pattern.
Yesterday I had time to work on my Moda Modern Building Blocks quilt project making blocks 8, 19,, 41 and 44.
There are 48 blocks in this quilt and I have done 32. Only 16 more to go…….
It has been two months since I have posted to this blog – two months of a busy schedule where I was too lazy to take pictures and write up anything interesting.
Over the last few days, I have finished up some very small projects.
First up is a very, very simple winter table runner – the mini version of the “10 minute” pattern. The fabric is sparkly which reminds me of that first beautiful snow fall when the world seems silent and the snow glitters under the street lights.
Second is a little mug rug, of which the kit was a gift. All the pieces were already fused and cut, so all I had to do was assemble it and do the stitching. Now it brightens up my breakfast table.
The last one is another table runner done in an Accuquilt class at the LQS. It was easy to do and looks good on my dining room table.
Three more blocks finished from Moda’s Modern Building Blocks…..
#4 – 24″ finished
#7 – 18″ finished
#47 – 6″ finished
My friend Betty gave me quite a few unfinished quilts from her stash. It is fun to figure out how to get them finished. Here are two that I have completed.
With more quilts from Betty, friend Lindsay, niece Becky, and cousin Lou Ann, I have plenty to keep me busy. I really appreciate friends and family trusting me with their precious quilts. It is such good practice for me!
There is a quilt in Lori Holt’s Farm Girl Vintage book that I love with trees, houses, and “Welcome” blocks. I have posted the houses and the trees that I made and now I am working on the “Welcome” blocks. They are 6-1/2 inch blocks with 37 pieces – teeny tiny pieces. I have to be very slow and careful in order to get the size right and the block reasonably straight. All the fabric is picked out – nice and scrappy – but I have only made five blocks so far and I need 18. If I can manage two a week then I will have them done sometime in late September!
Lindsay made this classic quilt a long time ago and was going to hand quilt it – but life got in the way. Children, work, and a very busy schedule prevented her from even beginning the quilting process. So the top languished in her sewing room for years. When I was asking my Bee friends for quilts that I could use for practice, she handed this quilt over to me. It languished on my shelf for a long, long time, but I finally felt confident enough to try some “custom” digital quilting.
I will finish up the binding (the hand-sewing part), wash the quilt as it has gotten dusty over the years, and happily hand it back to her. Hope she likes it !!!!
Today I was determined to make the next five blocks assigned for the Moda Building Blocks class from my local quilt shop. Even though I have done some of the hardest ones, these were not all that easy.
The smaller blocks are #25, #36, #43, and #45. The big block is #9.
I’m usually organized and neat when I sew, but today I didn’t want to take the time to re-fold and put things away, so I have this mess to clean up tomorrow.