On my To Do list this week – two quilts to be bound for friend Lindsay. Today I got one of them done.
Since it is not my quilt, I cannot show the top, but I will show you a little slice at the top of the next picture. The whole quilt is done in batiks and it is gorgeous.
After getting the binding done, I decided to take a break from hand sewing and make a few more of the Farmer’s Wife blocks – #3 and #4. The little basket – block #3 – went together nicely except that the handle was too long and I had to cut it down.
Then I happily moved on to block #4 – all straight pieces. Easy. Ha Ha – I laugh. It did not fit together. It was a good quarter of an inch off when I tried to put the four sections together. What had I done wrong? My quarter inch seams are pretty accurate. So I went back to the template and sure enough, the quarter inch seam allowance on the templates was a smidge less than a quarter inch.
I then proceeded to check the other blocks I had made to see if the unfinished size was 6-1/2 (for a finished 6 inch block). Nope. They measured 6-1/4 unfinished.
So what do I do now? Start over? Proceed and make all the blocks 6-1/4? Give up? I really like that little basket block. Maybe I’ll make another like it and do a table runner. The other blocks could go in my orphan block drawer. ………..Maybe my printer didn’t print the templates accurately…….
I’m gong to go knit for the rest of the day.
While spending too much time reading blogs today, I noticed that quite a few quilting blogs are working on blocks from The Farmer’s Wife Sampler Quilt book. The first few blocks didn’t look all that hard to do, so I ambled down to my quilt studio, located the book, and put the accompanying CD in my computer. I printed out the templates for the first two blocks and gathered some scraps together.
Fortunately I have plenty of scraps to make at least 10 of these quilts. I counted my scraps last night and there are one jillion and 49. Well, that count might not be completely accurate, but you get the idea. I do not want for fabric.
Here is the result of my afternoon fun.
I decided to kind of follow the colors in the book so that I didn’t have to agonize over choices. There are no promises here that I will do all the blocks or make this quilt, but I will have to admit I had a good time making these two blocks.
The templates made it very easy in spite of the fact that the first two pieces I sewed on backwards. Quilter error!!!! After that I paid attention. Paying attention prevents quilter errors. Did you know that?
Two more little quilts (FALL in wool) bound for friend Moe. These will also go to the mini auction of our quilt guild’s upcoming quilt show. If you live in the northwest suburban area of Chicago, please come. For details go to our website – NSQG.net.
Moe is also into Mail Art – and I was the lucky recipient of this inspiring and cheerful mail.
What I am not showing is the inside and backside of this card – and the front of the envelope. Let me tell you, it was a lot of work. There is painting, cutting, pasting, and a tremendous amount of thought that went into creating this work of art. How blessed I am to have such a good friend.
Today I got two more of Moe’s little quilts bound. These cute little quilts will be in our Guild’s mini auction at the upcoming Quilt Show in September.
Our Guild makes approximately 200 mini quilts which are presented on two days for silent auction. This auction provides us with funds to hire nationally known speakers and teachers.
Mini quilts make great hostess gifts and these two little quilts would be great to add to someone’s Halloween decorations.
The Book Store
by Country Cottage Needleworks
stitched on Lagana, Mushroom, 28ct.
Now that the book store is complete, I can go browse the books and find something to read. A nice cozy mystery would be great.
My next stitching project???? Well, I have two still in progress and many, many waiting to get started. However, I must get some more binding done first, and some quilting projects, and some knitting projects, and work on my postcard exchange and my artisit’s trading card exchange. Oh my, I do sound busy. Not too busy to read blogs though. Hmmmm.
Finished binding a small Fourth of July banner for friend Moe.
Isn’t the backing fabric great for a Fourth of July theme?
Since it is Moe’s quilt, I cannot show you it without her permission, but I’m sure she will eventually show it on her blog. However, I till let you see one corner of the quilt and the cute little star.
Moe always does a great job of decorating her home for all the holidays, so be sure to visit her blog around the Fourth of July and see what she has done this year.
After a personal hiatus from crafty projects, I got back into my Quilt Studio today. Our Bee has decided to start another challenge. One person distributes a 4-1/2″ square of fabric to everyone and the challenge is for each of us to make a 12″ (finished) block with the square and bring it to the next Bee monthly meeting.
This is my finished block – and the 4-1/2″ square is the one in the center. I’m pleased with the end result. The block is Block 8 – August – from Thimbleberries Big Book of Quilt Blocks, by Lynette Jensen. I chose August because it is the birthday month of the recipient.
Next month is my month to bring squares to everyone. I have a fabric temporarily picked out, but I will give it another few days to decide for certain. Everyone expects me to bring something green, but I think I will surprise them.